Stormwater code enforcement

by Joe
(Illinois USA)

Flood caused by neighbor's illegal regrading

Flood caused by neighbor's illegal regrading

Visitor Question: What happens if the municipal codes are not enforced and the violation negatively affects the surrounding property? A qualified engineer and a surveyor were hired by the affected individual to verify the problem was created due to the code violation. NOTE: The photo only shows the affected property. I was advised not to show the neighbor's property in a posted photo.

Editors Reply: The problem of drainage onto a neighboring property is a fairly common one. Municipalities that have adopted most or all of the standard international codes in effect have a municipal ordinance mandating that a property owner handle all of the drainage created on that property within their own site, without impacting neighbors.

It sounds as though this is occurring in a municipality with just such a code. In this case make sure the property owner being flooded has filed a formal complaint with the municipality, giving the address of the affected property. In most cases this complaint may be made by phone or online; often the complaint can be filed anonymously.

That should trigger a code inspector to come visit the site. In drainage cases, it is most helpful for the inspector to be able to talk with the impacted property owner receiving the drainage; usually the inspector will have questions about what the person making the complaint knows about the exact source of the drainage and whether the flooding is constant or intermittent. If the flooding is occasional, what is happening when it occurs? Is this during a heavy rain, after the heavy rain, or what else may have caused this situation?

Make sure the code inspector knows about and has a copy of the engineer's report. Most code inspectors will not be capable of nearly as sophisticated an analysis of stormwater runoff as an engineer, but the inspector often will respect an engineer's report.

Since your photo caption mentions regrading, consider carefully whether this situation may be temporary and either ease or be eliminated once vegetation regrows. We are not saying that there is no actionable code violation at the moment, but we are just trying to alert you about whether it is time urgent to get this complaint filed properly today, and to hurry along the code enforcement office if they do not visit promptly.

Further, be aware that in many U.S. states, there are state laws prohibiting activities that channel stormwater drainage onto a neighboring property. The enforcement mechanisms for these state laws vary from health department enforcement to allowing only for civil suit. A complaint to the health department may be more fruitful than to the municipal code enforcement office. Health departments are concerned about mosquitoes, rats, and possibly other hazards that standing water allows.

In many locations the health department is a county function, as opposed to a municipal function, so this may give you another avenue to pursue.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask a Question.

Subscribe to our monthly e-mail newsletter, called USEFUL COMMUNITY PLUS, which provides you with short features or tips about timely topics for neighborhoods, towns and cities, community organizations, rural environments, and our international friends. Unsubscribe any time. Give it a try.